Bookstore Spotlight: The Book Cellar


National Independent Bookstore day really made me realize how many awesome indies I have around me; there is just something special about going to a bookstore that has its own personality. Each month, I will be highlighting an indie bookstore that I come across and would love to learn more about your indies as well! Without further ado, I introduce you to...

I have been waiting for this moment for a lonngg time! This month (let's ignore the fact that I haven't done this in at least two months), I'm going to be talking about my favorite Chicago bookstore: The Book Cellar. 

The Book Cellar is located in Lincoln Square (also known as the German district) and is a wine bar plus cozy indie. I love this store because of its great selection, fun bookish merch, and nice-sized cafe area. 


The staff is super fun and everyone seems to truly love their job. I've only been to Book Cellar a handful of times, but each time I've also begged my husband to move us closer (then I remember the rent). Book Cellar is super involved with the neighborhood as well. I was in Lincoln Square a few weeks ago for its annual Apple Fest and the bookstore highlighted a bunch of fall books as well as their caramel apple latte (good stuff by the way). 


The Book Cellar also partnered with the Chicago Public Library to create the Chicago Young Adult Book Festival (I'm not sure if they still are partnering with them) and they do a lot to help the local indie scene. I've taken a look at their events calendar and they are never NOT busy. They've got local author meetups, book readings, and writing workshops. I love them for how much they do for the Chicago arts scene. 


And I mentioned it briefly, but they have an amazing selection! They have walls and walls of books for Kids, Young Adult, Cooking, Religion, Graphic Novels, Self-Help, Cooking, literally everything! I'm so astounded by how they can fit so much merchandise in such a small space. And they typically have new releases in reasonable time (I think I picked up Fairest on release day and had to wait a week to pick up A Court of Thorns and Roses). 


I'm so happy that I was able to share The Book Cellar with all of you. If you ever visit me in Chicago, you better bet that I'm dragging you along with me to browse its shelves!

Labels: , ,