Book Review: The Traitor's Game

Title: The Traitor's Game (The Traitor's Game #1)
Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Genre: Young Adult | Fantasy 
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: February 27, 2018
Source: Library
Format: Physical


Nothing is as it seems in the kingdom of Antora. Kestra Dallisor has spent three years in exile in the Lava Fields, but that won't stop her from being drawn back into her father's palace politics. He's the right hand man of the cruel king, Lord Endrick, which makes Kestra a valuable bargaining chip. A group of rebels knows this all too well - and they snatch Kestra from her carriage as she reluctantly travels home.The kidnappers want her to retrieve the lost Olden Blade, the only object that can destroy the immortal king, but Kestra is not the obedient captive they expected. Simon, one of her kidnappers, will have his hands full as Kestra tries to foil their plot, by force, cunning, or any means necessary. As motives shift and secrets emerge, both will have to decide what - and who - it is they're fighting for (goodreads).


I nothing this book. 
Plot: Ugh, this review is going to be such a pain because I feel like I have nothing to say about it. I picked it up because I can't say no to YA fantasies with deception and court betrayal. The Traitor's Game had all of that but I never felt attached to any of the characters or storyline. I think it may have been the writing because it had all of the right notes but I didn't fall easily in love with this one as I had expected. 

Characters: The Traitor's Game followed the perspectives of Kestra and Simon; typically I like dual perspectives, but I found it difficult to tell the difference between the two. There wasn't anything definitive to separate their narratives besides the chapter headers. I liked Kestra's spunk and I also liked that Nilsen explored some of her traumas. Simon wasn't as developed; he was a forgettable love interest if I'm being honest. 

Worldbuilding: The world of The Traitor's Game was standard in terms of YA fantasy worlds. Nielsen did a great job of exploring her world and giving life to its inhabitants, but just like the characters, it was fairly forgettable. 

Short N Sweet: It was a thing. 

Labels: , , , ,